Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Smokey The Bear




On day two of our journey home we drove through east Montana to get to Mount Rushmore. There is a whole lot a NOTHING out there!!!!!!!! We finally had to stop for a picnic lunch and the best place we could find was at the front yard of the Ashland Ranger Station. The people there are amazing!!!! They saw us out on their lawn and brought the girls goodie bags filled with Smokey the Bear things like coloring books, pencils, a whistle and Frisbee. They even let us use their very nice, very clean bathrooms. On the way out I told the lady who worked there how I had grown up in Alaska and there were always Forest Service workers around and one time I was given a Smokey the Bear shaped reflecter zipper pull for my jacket and how I loved that thing so much as a kid. Well...the lady then asked if we could spare ten minutes so Smokey the Bear HIMSELF could come out and meet the girls. The man how wears the costume works there and he got all dressed just for the girls and came out to meet them. Honestly, I was more excited about the whole thing then the girls, they were terrified of the giant brown thing. It was a great stop, very special for them to do all that just for us, some wayward travelers just passing by.

No comments: